NFT - Explain Like I'm 5
- Non Fungible Tokens (NFT) is the ability to create 100% unique, digital 'finger prints' that can be bought, sold, or transferred.
- Basically, NFT = "hey I own this (asset) and I can prove it with the unique token I have in my crypto wallet"
- Instant Authentication / proof of ownership.
NFT Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What do I actually own when I buy an NFT?
A: You get a 100% unique token in your wallet that represents whatever asset you chose to purchase (and can be verified). This token can be transferred, sold, etc...
Q: But can't a .jpeg file I buy be copied / pasted etc...?
A: Well, the mona lisa is "copied and pasted" every day, and hung in homes, offices, etc... But copy / paste doesn't mean they own the Mona Lisa. Value is in ownership. Which NFTs can prove very easily.
Q: How can the REAL artist prove that a copy is a FAKE?
A: this is what makes NFTs revolutionary. Every time an artist mints an NFT, it is permanently timestamped on the a public database (blockchain), and cannot be reversed or deleted. So pointing your finger to your "time stamp" is all you need.
Q: Can only GIFs and images be sold as NFTs? What about physical items?
A: Surprisingly, NFTs have no bounds! Check out these phyiscal Uniswap socks that released as an NFT. At the time of the screenshot, they were going for $115,000!
Where to buy NFTs?
OpenSea: Buy Crypto Collectibles, CryptoKitties, Decentraland, and more on Ethereum
Empowering developers and designers with easy-to-use, powerful tools Create your own marketplace Build a beautiful marketplace for your ERC721 or ERC1155 assets for free, and earn revenue on every secondary sale of your items. Pull market data from our digital asset API Automatically show your users their own collectibles, and become an OpenSea affiliate to monetize your user base Collaborate with OpenSea Studios Building a game?
How To Collect Digital Art. Discover Tokenized Digital Art. Artists issue authenticated single edition digital artworks. These are certified on the Ethereum blockchain to prevent forgery and provide historical provenance. Buying & Selling Purchase at the asking price or make an offer by placing a bid.
Known Origin is a digital art marketplace powered by Ethereum. Discover, collect and invest in rare, limited edition digital artworks from some of the world's leading artists and creatives.
Foundation is a creative playground for artists, curators and collectors to experience the new creative economy.
How To Purchase NFTs?
👉 Check out our guide on purchasing NFTs here: Buying NFTs
How To Mint and Sell NFTs?
👉 Check out our guide on minting and selling NFTs here: Sell NFTs
NFT Royalty: Crypto Punks
There are 2 NFT projects that basically revolutionized and inspired the creation of the NFT token itself which we now know was Ethereum's 'ERC-721 token.'
- These 2 projects are crypto kitties and crypto punks.
Basically, when you buy an NFT, you're buying a unique token, which represents the item you have purchased ownership of. (can be any asset not just art)
The main catalyst of NFT's:
Crypto Punks - Highest sale in the millions $$$
- Crypto punks are a set of 10,000 unique pixel art avatars which have different attributes.
- Attribute examples: Glasses, beard, male, female, smile, frown, etc...
- These 10,000 punks got randomly mixed with different attributes, some rarer than others.
- in 2017, each of the 10,000 punks were redeemable for FREE by LarvaLabs.
- Now, since no more will ever be made, they are being re-sold for insane amounts.
Why so expensive?
- Punks are seen as the first NFT. ("NFT Royalty"), which gives them historic value.
- 10,000 punks means very limited supply, and demand is only INCREASING.
- Punks are showing to be a great Store of Value for Ethereum holders. Like real art.
Where can I buy punks?
Popular NFT Collections
NFT Flipping Opportunities Everywhere:
Watch this story of Mark Cuban's NFT saga, and how an experiment turned into a lot of money:
Made with 💜 - by @thekriskay - share with a friend to help DeFi grow.
Lets Do DeFi ™ is a free DeFi educational resource and guide aimed to explain complicated crypto stuff to everyday folks.
© DeFi Donut 2021 - © Lets Do DeFi 2021 |